Search Our Blog For What You Want To Read!

Friday, July 10, 2015

TopTrending Friday#4- Song Analysis + A Bit Of Marvel = ?

Well, this is an unexpected post...

So I was just scrolling through io9 and found something that caught my eye... In an interview with James Gunn (the director of Guardians of the Galaxy), he announced that the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy 2 movie will be EVEN MORE emotional than the first one. Anyone in for more tears? But still, we haven't heard of this franchise recently... And all this reminded me of one song... Yep, you guessed it! "Hooked On A Feeling", the signature song of the franchise! Don't worry, I'll be writing more about Marvel later on once I satisfy my need to analyse this song so it's going to be quite a long post. It is called TopTrending Friday for a reason, anyway.

Remember these guys???

So, why is this song so catchy?

The BPM (Beats Per Minute) for this song is 121BPM, which is actually VERY common in contemporary pop songs. But what makes it catchy is not its beat, but its bassline! Remember that "Ooka Chaka" bassline in the song? Yes, that was actually added in by Blue Swede themselves in 1973! And yes, this song is a cover, the original was actually sang by B.J Thomas in 1968! Take a listen to both versions of the song, the bassline really makes it catchy, right? Also, take a look at the Guardians Of The Galaxy scene where this song is played (WE COULDN'T FIND A MUSIC VIDEO).





Next, OUR opinion on this song!

I've gathered the team and this is our opinion behind this song's lyrics and beat. (Finally found a good use of learning Literature in school...)

This is our own meaning of the     WHOLE song 

Original: I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me
Girl, you just don't realize
What you do to me
Our own meaning: He can't control this feeling deep inside his heart. The girl dosn't realise how she affects him.

Original: When you hold me
In your arms so tight
You let me know
Everything's all right
Our own meaning: Whenever she holds him, she makes him "feel better".

Original: I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
Our own meaning: He has a strong feeling that she's in love with him.

Original: Lips as sweet as candy
Its taste is on my mind
Girl, you got me thirsty
For another cup o' wine
Our own meaning: This verse describes how much he thinks of her.

Original: Got a bug from you girl
But I don't need no cure
I'll just stay a victim
If I can for sure
Our own meaning: He was one of the victims who fell for her.

Original: All the good love
When we're all alone
Keep it up girl
Yeah, you turn me on
Our own meaning: Describes the good times they had when they were alone.  

Original: I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
Our own meaning: He has a strong feeling that she's in love with him.

Original: All the good love
When we're all alone
Keep it up girl
Yeah, you turn me on

Our own meaning: Describes the good times they had when they were alone.  

Original: I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
I'm hooked on a feeling
And I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
I said I'm hooked on a feeling
And I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
I'm hooked on a feeling
Our own meaning: These last three (3) verses emphasizes on how much he truly loves her.


Jinn Lik's personal opinion- My opinion on this song is quite obvious already for some of you out there. Well, this song starts of in a very random pace with all the people singing oga chaka. I find this rather weird, but it goes well with the song later on, so I have no complaints about that. The tune that the band conducted was quite catchy, until it nearly made me jump off the roof when played. 

I'm a person who does not usually like to listen to songs with lyrics, but this has impressed me. Reason being, as I was looking through the lyrics, I was baffling about the meaning of the song. I found the words used to be quite unique to describing a girl.

The scene in the movie in general is quite entertaining along with the song itself. The starting of the scene (2:45)  before the song plays is funny, but once the song turned up I laughed till I fell of the chair! Alright, I admit I did not do that literally, but I was close to doing that. As the song progresses, the scene evolves into a kind of comedic attitude where it simply stuns me.

I found the part where Chris Pratt was begging to have his mp3 player back quite funny. Reason being I simply enjoyed the part where the song came to it's climax, while Chris gave every detail of the song only to be tasered in the end. Also, once the team of prisoners(main Characters) entered the prison mess hall it felt like the song was giving us a breath taking moment of the scene.

I give an applause to the person who directed the movie for using this song. I love the scene a lot , especially the lyrics and the tune of the song that made this movie and song shine out towards all movies in the world.

Over all, I'm quite impressed with the song and I hope to venture through more songs the next movie has to offer.

Brandon's personal opinion- This song is VERY catchy. Too bad they don't have a music video for it though... Although I normally listen to (and enjoy) EDM, I like this song a lot as it reminds me of olden times. Why, you ask? Well, the beat and the way Blue Swede sang it. Love that Oldies feel that this song provides.

Regarding the music video, I'm going to keep it short and simple. I really like the scene (not to say the movie itself). It blends a sense of humor and the story line of the movie together. Also, I feel that the the personality of the characters shown in the scene were given an excellent description. Don't forget that the song also lightens the mood of the prison XD.

Kai Boon's personal opinion- In my opinion Marvel have done a very good job on the movie: Guardians of the galaxy. Instead of just a plain action movie, they also included many good old classic songs like: Aint no mountain high enough, come and get your love, cherry bomb, and my personal favourite: Hooked on a feeling. With a catchy beat, meaningful lyrics, and great instrumental music, it's the song that most people will not forget even long after watching the movie. To me, the only flaw in the song is that the lyrics are kinda short and repetitive.

The story of the song is generally about how a man has been feeling hooked on to a girl. The man actually really likes the girl so much that he can't hide his feeling, but the girl still doesn't realise his love for her. When the girl hugs the man it makes the man feel very protected and everything is alright. The man believed that the girl is also, actually in love with him.

Hooked on a feeling was played throughout the scenes where Star Lord, Rocket, Groot and Gamora were arrested and sent to maximum security jail. Even though they didn't start off well, but in there they met Drax and slowly developing, improving their friendship and eventually breaking out the jail by working together. The lyrics and tune of the song really match up with the story going on in the movie.

Lastly I must say Hooked on a feeling is now one of my favourite classic song of all time. Thank you Marvel/ James Gunn for introducing me to this good classic song.

(AWESOME MIX VOL. 2 HERE WE COME)




Never thought James Gunn would actually use this song...

Whew, hoped you guys didn't lose interest due to all the LOVE , you guys cant be THAT boring right? 

It's finally time for me to write about new and upcoming Marvel news!

Well, I have here with me some AWESOME news... and some MEH ones, but I'll get to the MEH ones first cause I want to save the best for last!
First, Ant-man's villain in the movies confirmed to be Yellowjacket and is to be played by Mr Corey Stoll. If you don't know, Yellowjacket is an advanced version of Hank Pym's suit (the Ant-man suit) and looks kinda like a wasp. The suit was created by Darren Cross A.K.A the bad guy.
Second, Hasbro is working on the next Marvel action figure! You can stand a chance to vote for your favourite one right here!
This is Yellowjacket, he looks cool, huh?

Some of the Hasbro Marevel action figures on display

Alright, I think 2 is enough, lets get to the REAL fun!
Hoho, am I excited to announce this to you. 
Just recently, Marvel announced something that hyped fans all over the globe. What was it?
They announced an ALL-NEW Marvel Universe! And here are some of the exciting new changes I know.
1. Peter Parker is back in the Amazing Spider Man series!
2. The "Spider-verse" is getting its own series called Web Warriors!
3. The Vision is getting his own solo series!
4. Iron Man gets an upgrade (?)
5. A new Guardians Of The Galaxy team featuring The Thing (?)
6. X-23 (a superheroine) seems to be the new Wolverine
Here is the teaser poster for the ALL-NEW Marvel universe,
see if you can find anything new!
Hmmmm... Overall, still a lot of questions to be asked. Make sure you guys regularly check out Marvel's own site on this topic to get the latest updates.
Fact: 'Hooked On A Feeling' was written by Mark James, Mark James is well-known for writing songs for many artists including Elvis Presley!
If you are looking for more facts on this song, visit its Wikipedia page. And, if you are in for more Marvel, consider visiting Comics Alliance's post on 50 amazing Marvel facts!


No comments:

Post a Comment